What to Expect at Your First Checkup
New Patient exams are typically an hour and a half. We take pride in getting to know each of our patients, tailoring treatments to the health needs and goals of every individual. Here’s what to expect the first time you come to our office:
- Dental History—A dental assistant will gather dental and medical histories so that we have a clear picture of your current health, including any medical conditions that can impact dental treatment.
- Digital X-rays—We take digital x-rays as diagnostic material for your comprehensive oral exam. If you have had x-rays taken within the last 12 months, please have them sent to our office. If you are unable to have x-rays taken, please inform the dental assistant as you give your medical history.
- Oral Screening and Teeth Exams—After we perform an oral cancer/lesion screening for symptoms of cancer and other illnesses, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, we examine your teeth for decay.
- Gum Evaluation and Teeth Cleanings— Dr. Tipple will evaluate your gums, measuring periodontal pockets with a probe, and clean your teeth by identifying and removing areas of tartar, plaque, and calculus.
- Oral Hygiene Habits—We end your visit by reviewing and reinforcing proper oral hygiene. And scheduling you for a professional cleaning.